Confiscation and Asset Recovery now commands an increasing amount of the work that members of the 6 Pump Court Criminal Team undertake. Complex and often highly technical, members of the Team have a wealth of experience in all aspects of the POCA process from pre-charge restraint to enforcement.
The Team’s members are regular speakers on the topic, having recently addressed audiences as diverse as intellectual property specialists, cybercrime investigators and regulatory/Health and Safety practitioners.
Recent cases of note include:
- R v RF (instructed to represent the defendant in the restraint and confiscation proceedings arising from the high profile tax evasion prosecution emanating from the ‘Vantis’ litigation).
- R v G (confiscation proceedings arising out of a £250 million investment fraud arising from the prosecution of the Imperial Consolidated Fund).
- Bayford (POCA issues arising from a BIS/TS prosecution of regulatory offences under the Consumer Credit Act).
- H (application to vary a confiscation order arising from a VHCC tax fraud)
- M (representing third party intervening in the enforcement stage of the confiscation proceedings)
- Fox-Flatman (money laundering in relation to the proceeds of a significant South London drugs supply network).
- Nicholson (a notorious money lending“shark” sent to prison for an indeterminate period following convictions for a variety of criminal offences where POCA was used to confiscate property here and abroad).
- Chapman (interrelationship between s.170 Consumer Credit Act 1974 and POCA).
MEMBERS OF THE Criminal Law TEAM