Confiscation and Asset Recovery now commands an increasing amount of the work that members of the Six Pump Court Criminal Team undertake. Complex and often highly technical, members of the Team have a wealth of experience in all aspects of the POCA process from pre-charge restraint to enforcement.
The Team’s members are regular speakers on the topic, having recently addressed audiences as diverse as intellectual property specialists, cybercrime investigators and regulatory/Health and Safety practitioners.
Recent cases of note include:
- R v RF (instructed to represent the defendant in the restraint and confiscation proceedings arising from the high profile tax evasion prosecution emanating from the ‘Vantis’ litigation).
- R v G (confiscation proceedings arising out of a £250 million investment fraud arising from the prosecution of the Imperial Consolidated Fund).
- Bayford (POCA issues arising from a BIS/TS prosecution of regulatory offences under the Consumer Credit Act).
- H (application to vary a confiscation order arising from a VHCC tax fraud)
- M (representing third party intervening in the enforcement stage of the confiscation proceedings)
- Fox-Flatman (money laundering in relation to the proceeds of a significant South London drugs supply network).
- Nicholson (a notorious money lending“shark” sent to prison for an indeterminate period following convictions for a variety of criminal offences where POCA was used to confiscate property here and abroad).
- Chapman (interrelationship between s.170 Consumer Credit Act 1974 and POCA).
MEMBERS OF THE Criminal Law TEAM