“6 Pump Court’s group has ‘a breadth and depth of knowledge’ in both children and finance matters. Areas of expertise range from complex TOLATA claims to international children relocation cases”.
Legal 500 (2015)
We understand how difficult it can be to ensure that children are protected from the upheaval that can follow a relationship breakdown.
Our specialist child law barristers undertake the whole range of private law applications including:
- Child arrangements orders detailing where children live and how they divide their time (formerly residence and contact orders)
- Contact disputes
- Applications by grandparents and other family members for contact and other orders
- Cases involving issues of domestic abuse
- Special Guardianship
- Education and health disputes
- Internal relocation
- Same sex parent disputes
- Applications by step parents
Our recent cases include:
- Re G  EWCA Civ 336 – representing the appellant, the biological parent of twins, in a same sex parental responsibility dispute before the Court of Appeal. The respondent was the twins’ birth mother. Conception pre-dated the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 2008 and, as such, the appellant could not obtain parental responsibility without either the respondent’s consent or a shared residence order.
- Re B  EWCA 1015 – evidence being used in private fact finding hearings from non-subject children in the Court of Appeal.
- Re K (A Child) (2014) EWCA Civ 905 – committal applications to enforce contact orders. Successfully represented a father in contempt proceedings arising in a long running habitual residence case where a child had been left with paternal relatives abroad.
- Re L-W (Children)  EWCA Civ 1253 – the seminal authority on enforcement applications in Children Act proceedings.
- Representing a step father in a residence application following the death of the subject child’s mother against the natural father. Step father successful.
- Representing a parent in a tragic case following the death of one of the party’s children. Resolved with shared care.
- Representing a parent in a bitter and long running partnership breakdown resulting in the refusal of a parental responsibility order.
- Representing special guardians to restrict the contact of a natural parent.
- Representing on numerous occasions, victims in fact finding hearings in relation to rape and other serious offences including arson and aggravated burglary with a baseball bat – often obtaining findings following acquittals at the Crown Court.
- Representing a mother who developed severe bi-polar disorder after birth of child where there was evidence that the father was seeking to manipulate her so as to obtain residence. Ultimately the mother’s health precluded her caring for the children.
- Representing a mother who removed her children from South Africa without the father’s consent where her defence to their return was economic hardship. Having considered the opportunities available to the children, the father agreed to their residence in England.
- Representing a father in contact proceedings where the mother stated that his homosexuality posed a risk to the children. The children were supported to have a full relationship with their father notwithstanding the mother’s hostility.
- Representing a mother in disputed residence/contact proceedings where the father was in the process of gender reassignment.